So you’re out of sunscreen… you run to the store to buy more before a nice Saturday at the beach… but there are literally hundreds of brands, varieties and kinds to choose from these days- how do you know what to purchase?
At Germain Dermatology we more than understand the confusion of information and overwhelming task of buying sunscreen especially when you are searching for the right protection for your little ones, but we are here to help.
Here is what to look for and avoid and to seek out when refilling before greeting the Summer sun:
– Look for sunscreens or sunblocks labeled mineral or physical opposed to chemical. While there are many speculations and opposing facts on whether chemical sunscreens can do harm or long term damage Dr. Germain suggests it is always better to be proactive and cautious when it comes to your health and your protection.
– Avoid oils and most gels. Most oils do not contain sufficient amounts of sunscreen and usually have an SPF of less than 2. Gels and oils also tend to sweat off easier requiring more frequent applications.
– ALWAYS go with a ‘Broad Spectrum’ variety (also labeled as UVA/UVB protection or Multi-Spectrum). Broad spectrum sunscreen protects against UVB and UVA radiation giving you the best protection. Non Broad Spectrum sunscreen does not protect against UVA rays which cause premature aging and wrinkles. The SPF level is only related to the protection of UVB rays so even high levels can still allow UVA damage.
– Look for UVA-blocking ingredients including zinc oxide which blocks the reflection of the sun more successfully than ingredients like titanium dioxide.
– SPF of 30 is adequate protection when reapplied and used properly. Dr. Germain suggests using 30-50 SPF on a daily basis, year round. An SPF 15 product blocks about 94% of UVB rays; an SPF 30 product blocks 97% of UVB rays; and an SPF 45 product blocks about 98% of rays. Sunscreens with higher SPF ratings block slightly more UVB rays, but none offers 100% protection leaving SPF 30 as the dermatologist recommended standard.
– Apply MORE and often. Most people apply from only 0.5 to one milligram per square centimeter of skin. Consequently, the actual SPF they achieve is approximately 1/3 of the labeled value.
While the efforts to fight skin cancer and melanoma are ongoing and making great strides the statistics are still terrifying. Germain Dermatology hopes each of you take this information and make a conscious decision to fight the facts and prevent yourself, and your family, from becoming a statistic. Only 10% of all people with melanoma actually have a family history of the disease~ Sun Safe practices can truly save lives.
It is estimated that more than 8,500 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with skin cancer every day, Melanoma making up 1% of all Cancer Cases.
In 2016, it is estimated that there will be 76,380 new cases of melanoma in the United States and 10,130 deaths from the disease.
People under the age of 45 account for 25% of all Melanoma cases.
Melanoma is the third most common cancer among women ages 20-39 and the second most common cancer in men ages 20-39.
There is a 200% increase in Melanoma since 1973 with Melanoma rates in the United States doubling from 1982 to 2011.
- About 132,000 new cases of melanoma are diagnosed worldwide each year, according to the World Health Organization.
Get your skin checks, use san safe practices and spread the awareness to those you love!
Germain Dermatology is spreading the practice of Sun Safety with our May #SunSafeGermain contest! May is National Skin Cancer Awareness Month and we cannot impress enough the importance of prevention when it comes to Skin Cancers of all varieties.
To help increase the awareness we are asking you to share a photo with us on Facebook or Instagram that shows you being Sun Safe and you will be entered to win a FREE Germain Rx or Colorescience Sunscreen. Whether it’s rocking your favorite hat for Sunday brunch or lathering the sunscreen on your little ones, we want to see what you are doing to stay happy, healthy and cancer free this May.
Winner will be drawn Wednesday June 1st.
All posts must tag @GermainDermatology and #SunSafeGermain.
In conjunction with Melanoma Awareness month we are thrilled to announce the addition of Colorescience Sunforgettable SPF 50 Brush On Sunscreen and Colorescience Sunforgettable SPF 35 Lip Shines to Germain Dermatology’s outstanding array of products.
With more Skin Cancer Foundation Seals of Approval than any other brand and containing an exclusive Breathable Mineral Mesh technology, Colorescience offers the highest quality mineral formulations that deliver the fusion of Suncare, Skincare, and Color to our patients.
Sunforgettable SPF 50 Brush On Sunscreen and Lip Shine is ideal for men, women, and children of all ages. The brush on sunscreen is available in four flesh-tinted shades of zinc and titanium sunscreen, it creates a water-phobic, inert barrier that soothes and protects skin and will not settle into lines, clog pores, irritate, or be absorbed by skin.
These remarkable, transparent powder sunscreens deliver broad spectrum protection from both UVA and UVB, are water resistant to 80 minutes, and carry a Skin Cancer Foundation Active Use Seal of Approval. They are the perfect touch up on-the-go, are travel-ready, are safe to leave in the car and never expire. Germain Dermatology is introducing both single-brush Sunforgettable SPF 50 Brush On Sunscreen, in four shades, as well as the Sunforgettable Multi Pack boxed set. The Sunforgettable SPF 35 Lip Shines offer the highest physical SPF of any lip cosmetic available, and are available in 6 tinted shades as well as Clear.