Charleston Agrees: Dr. Marguerite Germain is the Best!

Looking for the best dermatologist in Charleston? Look no further than Germain Dermatology, where Dr. Marguerite Germain is still celebrating the April 24, 2019, announcement that she was named Best Dermatologist in City Paper’s annual readers’ poll.

And that’s not all! Germain Dermatology itself—serving Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Mt. Pleasant, Summerville, and all of South Carolina—was named Best Dermatology Practice.

The whole team decided to don fancy black dresses and delightfully vibrant pink wigs to socialize at City Paper’s celebratory shindig the day the issue hit the streets. In addition to marking this year’s win with the coordinated costumes, Dr. Germain and her staff were also celebrating the fact that the number of times the board-certified dermatologist has won this title now totals 14. That’s more than a dozen honors handed over with regularity.

That said, there is nothing regular about the accolades. Dr. Germain treats each year’s ballot as a fresh start, taking nothing for granted. Recognition is never her motivation. She maintains a professional and welcoming atmosphere no matter what. Each day, she focuses on helping patients with her extensive background in the field and on leading a team of like-minded professionals to provide advanced care with compassion, discretion, and skill.

Voters obviously recognize that commitment to care, which is why Dr. Germain and Germain Dermatology can be found in the Recreation, Health, and Beauty section of City Paper’s “Best” issue.

In honor of taking the title once again, Germain Dermatology is offering a 50 percent discount on any single full-price Germain Rx product. To find the coupon, which must be presented in order to get the deal, visit the Germain Dermatology Instagram feed. Note that it is limited to one per person, and must be used by June 30, 2019.

For more information about the “Best Dermatologist in Charleston” for 14 years in a row, and Germain Dermatology in general, call (843) 881-4440 or send a message online.

Why Does Laser Hair Removal Require Multiple Sessions?

Though the thought of long-term results from a single session of laser hair removal at Charleston, SC’s Germain Dermatology is a lovely one, it’s not a realistic one. Like most good things in life, ideal results come to those who wait—or at least those who complete multiple treatment sessions.

This process is not due to the strength of the laser or the skill of the operator, but to the nature of the hairs themselves.

First, an explanation: Laser hair removal works by sending light into the skin, which causes pigmented cells to heat up. They get so hot, in fact, that they become damaged. When this happens to the pigmented cells in a follicle, the damage inhibits the follicle’s hair-growing ability.

Unfortunately, this only works on follicles that are in the “actively growing” phase, known as anagen. Essentially, the heat damage disrupts the follicle’s normal cycle, which would typically continue from anagen to catagen (which gets the follicle ready to grow a new hair by shutting down the blood supply to the current hair) to telogen (which allows the follicle to rest before the new hair grows). By throwing a wrench into anagen, the current hair falls out—and the cycle does not resume for a significant amount of time.

Approximately 85 percent of a person’s hairs are in the anagen phase at any given time, so a laser hair removal session should catch the majority of hairs in an area. Subsequent sessions are necessary to get the remaining 15 percent. This can take a couple more sessions, since only about 85 percent of the hairs that are left will be in anagen next time.

Eventually, after an average of five sessions spaced weeks apart, the targeted region will be smooth—with no need for a razor or waxing or any other hair-removal method you used before.

Yes, the treatment requires some patience, but our patients agree the results are worth the effort—and the wait!

Learn more about laser hair removal in the Charleston, SC, area by calling (843) 881-4440 or sending a message to Germain Dermatology.